111 Maitland street
When NBS opened in 1959, it was housed at 111 Maitland Street in a former Quaker Meeting House. The building was cramped and provided barely enough space for the initial group of twenty-six students who even had to trek to nearby Jarvis Collegiate for their science lessons.
As word spread of NBS’ excellent training, enrollment increased rapidly and the School soon outgrew the original space. To accommodate its growing student body, NBS leased a house at 410 Jarvis Street and gradually acquired five additional buildings on Maitland Street. In 1975, NBS added a final Maitland building, securing its presence on the entire block. In spite of these expansions, the original building at 111 Maitland remained the heart of the School and is still remembered fondly by generations of students. Today, the building functions as a residence and dining hall.